Okay boys and girls it is OFFICIALLY go time. Summer will be here in TWO SHAKES OF A LAMB’s Tail- and therefore if you are determined to wear a bathing suit, sans old lady skirt or Mrs. Roperesque moo moo- now is the time to invest in yourself and your body.
Enter Ashleigh Di Lello (Dancing with the Stars and SYTYCD frequent guest star- whose site is a WONDERFUL resource for those of us trying to maintain our shape. Now before you think I want to be 105 pounds like I was at my wedding 15 years ago think again. I want to be healthy, strong and not winded. I want to build a stronger core and okay- I do want to wear a bathing suit and really own it. keep reading for their 5 Tips for 30 Minute Total Body Workout. One of the reasons why I LOVE these tips is that you can do them ANYWHERE… all you need is MOTIVATION!
Each of the following moves target multiple muscles (arms, legs, butt and core) at the same time. Moving from one exercise to the next without resting, and adding in quick cardio bursts, will help you tone up and burn more calories. Use dumbbells that will keep challenging your muscles for 15 to 20 reps (5 to 10 pounds). After each move, do 1 minute of cardio (jumping jacks, jump rope, fast walking, jogging, step ups, speed skaters, etc.), working at an intensity level of about 7 or 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. Do the circuit 3 times.
(1) Walking Lunge with Overhead Press: Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding dumbbells at shoulder height, palms facing forward, elbows bent at 90 degrees. Lunge forward with right leg, bending both knees, keeping right knee directly over right ankle. As you lift back up, slowly press dumbbells overhead until arms are straight. Then lunge forward with left foot and bring arms back down to shoulder height. Do 30 reps, alternating legs.
(2) Deadlift with Row: Stand with feet hip-width apart, dumbbells facing sides, knees slightly bent. Hinge forward from hips, pushing glutes behind you and keeping back straight, until dumbbells reach your shins. Hold here for a breath, then bend elbows toward ribs, keeping arms close to sides. Lower arms back to shins, then pull through glutes to lift back up. Do 20 reps.
(3) Lateral lung with Chop: Hold a dumbbell with both hands at chest level and lunge to your right, bending right knee 90 degrees as you push hips back; keep left leg straight. At the same time, bring weight down toward right foot. Return right foot to center and lift back up, bringing dumbbell diagonally across body toward left shoulder. Do 15 reps. Switch sides; repeat.
(4) Walking Plank with Push Ups: Start in full push-up position (hands under shoulders, abs engaged, back straight, toes tucked under). Walk hands and feet 6 steps to left. Drop knees to floor and do 5 push-ups. Repeat to right. Do series 3 times on each side.
(5) Side Bridge: Lie in a straight line on your right side, legs and hips stacked, elbow under shoulder, abs engaged. Lift hips to form a straight line with upper body; lower. Repeat 10 times. For last rep, hold hips up fro 10 seconds, then lower.